How to use set/reset role in contrib_regression test?

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to use set/reset role in contrib_regression test?
Date: 2017-12-07 22:55:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello! I hope this is the right list for extension dev questions?

I am finding odd behavior running make installcheck for a postgres
extension. The user running the suite is a superuser ("jfinzel"). Once I
create any object as a test role, reset role does not work, although it
does work to do set role jfinzel. See:

SELECT CURRENT_ROLE;
current_user
--------------
jfinzel
(1 row)

SET ROLE test_pgl_ddl_deploy;
SELECT CURRENT_ROLE;
current_user
---------------------
test_pgl_ddl_deploy
(1 row)

RESET ROLE;
SELECT CURRENT_ROLE;
current_user
--------------
jfinzel
(1 row)

SET ROLE test_pgl_ddl_deploy;
CREATE SCHEMA special;
CREATE TABLE special.foo (id serial primary key, foo text, bar text);
CREATE TABLE special.bar (id serial primary key, super text, man text);
SELECT CURRENT_ROLE;
current_user
---------------------
test_pgl_ddl_deploy
(1 row)

RESET ROLE;
SELECT CURRENT_ROLE;
current_user
---------------------
test_pgl_ddl_deploy
(1 row)

SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT;
RESET ROLE;
SELECT CURRENT_ROLE;
current_user
test_pgl_ddl_deploy
(1 row)

What am I missing here? Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy Finzel