Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Atsushi Torikoshi <atorik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuro Yamada <tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Evgeny Efimkin <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature improvement: can we add queryId for pg_catalog.pg_stat_activity view?
Date: 2021-03-19 13:54:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 2:29 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> OK, that makes perfect sense. I think the best solution is to document
> that compute_query_id just controls the built-in computation of the
> query id, and that extensions can also compute it if this is off, and
> pg_stat_activity and log_line_prefix will display built-in or extension
> computed query ids.
>
> It might be interesting someday to check if the hook changed a
> pre-computed query id and warn the user in the logs, but that could
> cause more log-spam problems than help.

The log-spam could be mitigated by logging it just once per connection
the first time it is overridden

Also, we could ask the extensions to expose the "method name" in a read-only GUC

so one can do

SHOW compute_query_id_method;

and get the name of method use

compute_query_id_method
builtin

And it may even dynamically change to indicate the overriding of builtin

compute_query_id_method
fancy_compute_query_id (overrides builtin)