Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages

From: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Денис Романенко <deromanenko(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NAMEDATALEN increase because of non-latin languages
Date: 2021-08-18 12:03:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Could we just make the limitation to be 64 (or 128) _characters_ not _bytes_ ?

Memory sizes and processor speeds have grown by order(s) of magnitude
since the 64 byte limit was decided and supporting non-ASCII charsets
properly seems like a prudent thing to do.

Also - have we checked that at least the truncation does not cut utf-8
characters in half ?

-----
Hannu Krosing
Google Cloud - We have a long list of planned contributions and we are hiring.
Contact me if interested.