Re: Hardening PostgreSQL via (optional) ban on local file system access

From: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Pang <robertpang(at)google(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Hardening PostgreSQL via (optional) ban on local file system access
Date: 2022-06-29 07:45:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The idea is to allow superuser, but only in case you *already* have
access to the file system.
You could think of it as a two factor authentication for using superuser.

So in the simplest implementation it would be

touch $PGDATA/allow_superuser

psql
hannuk=# CREATE EXTENSION ...

rm $PGDATA/allow_superuser

and in more sophisticated implementation it could be

terminal 1:
psql
hannuk=# select pg_backend_pid();
pg_backend_pid
----------------
1749025
(1 row)

terminal 2:
echo 1749025 > $PGDATA/allow_superuser

back to terminal 1 still connected to backend with pid 1749025:
$ CREATE EXTENSION ...

.. and then clean up the sentinel file after, or just make it valid
for N minutes from creation

Cheers,
Hannu Krosing