Re: Recovery from Archive files

From: Ian Harding <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Raghavendra <raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovery from Archive files
Date: 2011-10-24 14:41:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Raghavendra
<raghavendra(dot)rao(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/20/11 2:33 AM, Raghavendra wrote:
>>>
>>> Am assuming you are having $PGDATA (data directory) and their WAL
>>> Archives.
>>
>> he said he does not have the base backup ($PGDATA), so this is pointless.
>
> Ahh.. Agreed.
> I mis-read, I though he is trying to recovery from current DATA directory
> and not with base backup which he doesn't have it.
> ---
> Regards,
> Raghavendra
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> Blog: http://raghavt.blogspot.com/

I thought if you had every log file ever generated from initdb, you
could initdb, and start replaying logs? It's an odd scenario, but I
thought I heard that could work... Come to think of it, I think that
was an Oracle thing I heard... but still.. if you had every log
file....

- Ian