Re: Auxiliary Processes and MyAuxProc

From: Mike Palmiotto <mike(dot)palmiotto(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Yuli Khodorkovskiy <yuli(dot)khodorkovskiy(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auxiliary Processes and MyAuxProc
Date: 2020-03-18 16:59:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:54 PM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020-Mar-18, Mike Palmiotto wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 11:26 AM Mike Palmiotto
> > <mike(dot)palmiotto(at)crunchydata(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Good catch, thanks. Will address this as well in the next round. Just
> > > need to set up a Windows dev environment to see if I can
> > > reproduce/fix.
> >
> > While I track this down, here is a rebased patchset, which drops
> > MySubprocessType and makes use of the MyBackendType.
>
> Note that you can compile with -DEXEC_BACKEND to use in a *nix build the
> same technique used to spawn processes in Windows, which might be an
> easier way to discover some problems without a proper Windows build.

Good suggestion. Unfortunately,that's how I've been testing all along.
I thought that would be sufficient, but seems like this might be more
specific to the Windows #ifdef's.

I have another version on my devbox which fixes the (embarrassing)
Travis failure for non-EXEC_BACKEND due to a dropped semicolon during
rebase. I'm setting up my own appveyor instance with Tomas's config
and will see if I can get to the bottom of this.

--
Mike Palmiotto
https://crunchydata.com