Re: backend type in log_line_prefix?

From: Mike Palmiotto <mike(dot)palmiotto(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backend type in log_line_prefix?
Date: 2020-03-17 19:03:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2020/03/15 19:32, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> >> I have committed the refactoring patches with adjustments along these
> >> lines. The patch with the log_line_prefix and csvlog enhancements is
> >> still under discussion.
> >
> > I have committed that last one also, after some corrections.

Sorry for being late to this thread, but was wondering if anyone had
taken a look at the Process Centralization patchset that I submitted
to this CF:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMN686HgTVRJBAw6hqFE4Lj8bgPLQqfp1c-%2BWBGUtEmg6wPVhg%40mail.gmail.com

There's quite a bit of that code that is in the same vein as the
MyBackendType changes proposed/merged in this thread.

I think we could reduce a large portion of redundant code (including
the pgstat_get_backend_desc code) while also
centralizing/standardizing process startup. A few useful features
(outside of code reduction) include the ability to identify backends
prior to their Main functions, cleaner control of SubPostmasterMain
logic (including implicit handling of shmem timing considerations).

If others think it's worthwhile, I will work on rebasing those changes
on the changes proposed/merged in this thread (re: MyBackendType).

Thanks,
--
Mike Palmiotto
https://crunchydata.com