[PG-11] Potential bug related to INCLUDE clause of CREATE INDEX

From: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [PG-11] Potential bug related to INCLUDE clause of CREATE INDEX
Date: 2018-07-10 13:07:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Dave,

I am working on a feature to support INCLUDE clause of index in PG-11. As
per the documentation https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/
sql-createindex.html, columns listed in INCLUDE clause cannot also be
present as index key columns. But I find different behaviour for below
queries which are logically identical.

CREATE TABLE some_table
(
id serial primary key,
first_name character varying(45),
last_name character varying
)

CREATE INDEX ind1
ON public.some_table USING btree
(id)
INCLUDE(id)
TABLESPACE pg_default;

This query fails with error
ERROR: included columns must not intersect with key columns

CREATE INDEX ind1
ON public.some_table USING btree
(id asc nulls last)
INCLUDE(id)
TABLESPACE pg_default;

This query passes and index is created.

Kindly let me know if I am missing anything.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Toshniwal