convert real to numeric.

From: Alessandro Aste <alessandro(dot)aste(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: convert real to numeric.
Date: 2018-10-18 10:28:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Postresql version: 10.5

I need to convert an SQL field from real to numeric, but I’m getting a
strange behavior.

See the following query in preprod:

select amount, amount::numeric, amount::numeric(16,4),
amount::varchar::numeric from mytable where id = 32560545;

Result:

17637.75, 17637.8, 17637.8000, 17637.75

As you can see, the conversion to ::numeric is truncating the number to
just 1 decimal digit.

Also we tried to change the schema definition of this table, from real to
numeric, and the value was truncated.

Is the ::varchar::numeric workaround a good option in your opinion? Any
other ideas to fix this issue?

Thank you,