Re: What happened to the tip "It is good practice to create a role that has the CREATEDB and CREATEROLE privileges..."

From: Jeremy Smith <jeremy(at)musicsmith(dot)net>
To: Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general list <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What happened to the tip "It is good practice to create a role that has the CREATEDB and CREATEROLE privileges..."
Date: 2023-04-19 19:00:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 2:19 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn(at)yugabyte(dot)com> wrote:

> This tip
>
> «
> It is good practice to create a role that has the CREATEDB and CREATEROLE
> privileges, but is not a superuser, and then use this role for all routine
> management of databases and roles. This approach avoids the dangers of
> operating as a superuser for tasks that do not really require it.
> »

used to be found in all versions of the PG doc

> What was the rationale for removing it? The practice recommendation makes
> sense to me. And I've implemented a scheme for database and role
> provisioning that uses just such a non-superuser with CREATEDB and
> CREATEROLE. I'm pleased with it.

It was removed in this commit:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=1c77873727dfd2e48ab2ece84d1fb1676e95f9a5

According to the commit comment, there's little security advantage to using
a role with CREATEDB and CREATEROLE privileges.