Re: Postgres vs other Postgres based MPP implementations

From: Ondrej Ivanič <ondrej(dot)ivanic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres vs other Postgres based MPP implementations
Date: 2011-11-08 09:49:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
>>  mostly heavy read
>> workloads but OLTP performance is required (like run query over 100m+
>> dataset in 15 sec)
>
> that isn't OLTP, its OLAP.  Online Analytic Processing rather than Online
> Transaction Processing....   large complex reporting queries that have to
> aggregate many rows is classic OLAP.

I didn't say OLTP. Our workload is "aggregations/drill downs/roll
ups/... " (= OLAP) but we need OLTP like performance i.e. our users
are not keen to wait more than several seconds for the result.
Greenplum or Postgres + Fusion IO can deliver this performance for us.

--
Ondrej Ivanic
(ondrej(dot)ivanic(at)gmail(dot)com)