Re: Subtransactions + a long-running transaction leading to performance degradation on standbys

From: Nikolay Samokhvalov <nik(at)postgres(dot)ai>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Subtransactions + a long-running transaction leading to performance degradation on standbys
Date: 2021-08-20 05:09:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:04 PM Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
wrote:

> I just want to note, that on your screenshot unpatched version runs 400K
> tps, while patched runs 280K tps. I see the dates are different and this
> effect is not observed in [0]. Probably, you run tests on different
> machines.

Indeed, patched Postgres I was testing on 2x smaller EC2 instances, it is
documented in the GitLab issue. But I added an additional note here:
https://gitlab.com/postgres-ai/postgresql-consulting/tests-and-benchmarks/-/issues/21#note_655731979

> While your experiments clearly shows that patch can save DB from
> degradation under pathological workload it would be great to ensure patch
> does not incur penalty on normal workload.

Makes sense. I'll try to find time to make a direct comparison.

I documented all the steps in detail in the GitLab issue, so anyone
interested can reproduce it and explore the problem at different angles.