Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-03-06 08:43:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> wrote:
> That's possible to introduce GUC variable for i/o functions which will
> control old "bug-to-bug" behavior. IMHO, this is much better option that
> stopping hstore development or split hstore to two branches.

A GUC that controls i/o functions is generally considered to be an
unacceptable hack.

In what sense are we really stopping hstore development if hstore2
lives as jsonb? I have a hard time imagining someone dealing with the
incompatibility that a user-facing hstore2 would introduce, while
still preferring hstore syntax over json syntax given the choice.
There are very rich facilities for manipulating json available in
every programming language. The same is not true of hstore.

Having looked at the issue today, I think that the amount of redundant
code between a hstore2 in core as jsonb and hstore1 will be
acceptable. The advantages of making a clean-break in having to
support the legacy hstore disk format strengthen the case for doing so
too.

--
Peter Geoghegan