Re: 9.4 release notes

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.4 release notes
Date: 2014-05-06 00:22:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> OK, I understand now. I also split the item into two separate ones so I
> could highlight things. Please see the new ouput --- I ended up
> creating a pg_stat_statements section because there are now three items:
>
> http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-4.html

I agree with the need for a separate section.

You wrote:

"This allows programs to reuse the query text already retrieved by
referencing queryid."

That's perhaps a little misleading, since queryid should virtually
always match the original normalized query text (so we only have to
get a new query text when there is a new queryid). I probably would
have phrased it:

"This allows monitoring tools to only fetch query texts for newly
observe entries, as determined by queryid"

--
Peter Geoghegan