Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)
Date: 2016-10-06 23:05:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Michael Paquier
> Okay, moved to next CF. I may look at it finally I got some use-cases
> for it, similar to yours I guess..

Let me know how that goes.

One thing I've definitely noticed is that the tool is good at finding
corner-case bugs, so even if you can only test a small fraction of the
number of databases that I've been able to test, there could still be
significant value in your performing your own exercise. Your customer
databases might feature far more use of Japanese collations, for
example, which might be an important factor. (Well, the use of Arabic
code points turned out to be an important factor in the question of
whether or not en_US.utf8 could have been affected by the Glibc +
abbreviated keys bug.)

--
Peter Geoghegan