Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Newman <dtnewman(at)gmail(dot)com>, danielnewman(at)umich(dot)edu, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14210: filter by "=" constraint doesn't work when hash index is present on a column
Date: 2016-06-25 19:05:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 12:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I'm in favor of just adding a debug option. We should introduce a more
>> general idea of a #define that enables a variety of debugging options,
>> because it's silly to have to worry about buildfarm coverage each and
>> every time this crops up. I'm not entirely sure what level that should
>> be scoped at. The status quo is impractical.
>
> I don't exactly see how that leads to any improvement --- you still end
> up having to manually configure some buildfarm critters for coverage, no?

Yes, but you only have to do it once. I don't see the problem with
creating a #define that represents a grab-bag of debug options that
should run on one or two buildfarm animals. That doesn't preclude also
allowing things like RAW_EXPRESSION_COVERAGE_TEST to be enabled more
selectively.

In short, I want to make it easier to add custom debugging options
that could trip a regression test failure.

--
Peter Geoghegan