Bringing text abbreviation debug output under the control of trace_sort

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bringing text abbreviation debug output under the control of trace_sort
Date: 2015-04-05 19:59:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached patch makes trace_sort control abbreviation debug output for
the text opclass, which makes it consistent with the numeric opclass.
This seems better than relying on someone going to the trouble of
building Postgres themselves to debug cases where abbreviation is the
wrong thing, which we're not 100% sure will not occur. It also allows
wider analysis of where abbreviation helps the most and the least in
production, which is surely a good thing.

I have added this to the next commitfest, but I suggest that it be
quickly committed to the master branch as a maintenance commit.
--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
trace-sort-text.patch text/x-patch 1.8 KB