Re: GIN pageinspect functions

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN pageinspect functions
Date: 2014-11-18 23:02:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> Do you intend to fix this up?

BTW, how do you feel about the B-Tree check extension [1]? It's very
much related to pageinspect -- it's more or less a derivative. I don't
think I'm going to have time (or that there is sufficient review
bandwidth available) to get it into 9.5, but I should post a revision
soon, so it's at least something that's available for use by an
expert. I did some clean-up work on it that is unpublished. It'll
become a more generic extension - "amcheck", per Robert's suggestion.

One unpublished additional feature (that I have to fix a bug in) that
isn't included in [1] is the idea of checking invariants across B-Tree
pages. So, a scankey should indicate that the greatest (non-highkey)
item on a non-rightmost page comports with the page that it has a
right link to. Without race conditions.

I don't have that swapped into my head at the moment, and so I don't
have a good sense of how hard it'll be to fix the problem I found...

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3SWZRtV+xmRWLWq6c-x7czvwavFdwFi4St1zz4dDgFH4yN4g@mail.gmail.com
--
Peter Geoghegan