Re: pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.
Date: 2015-05-11 18:41:20
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 1:49 AM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> I haven't had time for a proper read of this patch, but I did
> immediately notice this:
>
> HINT: For example, ON CONFLICT ON CONFLICT (<column>).
>
> This should perhaps either be:
>
> HINT: For example, ON CONFLICT (<column>).
>
> or
>
> HINT: For example, ON CONFLICT ON CONSTRAINT <constraint_name>.
>
> But at the moment it seems to be neither.

What I'd intended here was the first suggestion of yours. Initially,
it was actually a combination of Thom's two suggestions, but this was
messed up at some point.

What I suggest is that this be changed to match the first suggestion
here (the intended message), since the "ON CONSTRAINT ... " variant is
really just an escape hatch that I don't expect will see much use. I
tried to encourage use of the conventional inference mechanism
everywhere.

--
Peter Geoghegan