Re: logical changeset generation v6

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical changeset generation v6
Date: 2013-09-24 03:33:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> The existence of a tool like
> pg_receivellog seems to presuppose that the goal is spit out logical
> change records as text, but I'm not sure that's actually going to be a
> very common thing to want to do...

Sure, but I think it's still worth having, for debugging purposes and
so on. Perhaps the incorrect presupposition is that it deserves to
live in /bin and not /contrib. Also, even though the tool is
derivative of pg_receivexlog, its reason for existing is sufficiently
different that maybe it deserves an entirely distinct name. On the
other hand, precisely because it's derivative of
receivelog/pg_receivexlog, it kind of makes sense to group them
together like that. So I don't know.

--
Peter Geoghegan