Re: 9.5 release notes

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 release notes
Date: 2015-06-26 18:25:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Can you put your suggestions here in the form of a patch to the release notes?

The attached patch generalizes from the 9.2 release note wording. I
use the word "inlined" here too, even though commit 5ea86e6e6 did not
do too much with inlining of C code (unlike the 9.2 stuff that went in
a little after SortSupport itself).

Seems better to be consistent with the earlier item, and it is still
probably in some sense true, because the new SortSupport-wise inlined
comparator probably benefits from inlining more than the historic
scanKey-wise inlined comparator, due to the removal of indirection.

As I'm fond of pointing out, inlining is mostly useful as an "enabling
transformation" these days.
--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
release-note-sortsupport.patch text/x-patch 638 bytes