Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Jonathan Corbet <corbet(at)lwn(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Date: 2013-12-05 08:41:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> I also wasn't exaggerating the reception I got when I tried to talk
> about IO and PostgreSQL at LinuxCon and other events. The majority of
> Linux hackers I've talked to simply don't want to be bothered with
> PostgreSQL's performance needs, and I've heard similar things from my
> collegues at the MySQL variants. Greg KH was the only real exception.

If so, he is a fairly major exception. But there is at least one other
major exception: I met Theodore Ts'o at pgConf.EU (he was in town for
some Google thing), and he seemed pretty interested in what we had to
say, and encouraged us to reach out to the Kernel development
community. I suspect that we simply haven't gone about it the right
way.

> But you know what? 2.6, overall, still performs better than any kernel
> in the 3.X series, at least for Postgres.

What about the fseek() scalability issue?

--
Peter Geoghegan