Re: Failing assertions in indxpath.c, placeholder.c and brin_minmax.c

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Failing assertions in indxpath.c, placeholder.c and brin_minmax.c
Date: 2015-07-26 22:15:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 7:07 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de> writes:
>> when running my random query generator contraption[1] against the
>> regression database of 9.5 or master, it occasionally triggers one of
>> the following three assertions.
>
> Very very cool tool! Please keep doing that testing.

The SQLite people have been using a tool like this for some time.
They've also had luck finding bugs with a generic fuzz-testing tool
called "american fuzzy lop" (yes, seriously, that's what it's called),
which apparently is the state of the art.

I myself ran that tool against Postgres. I didn't spend enough time to
tweak it in a way that might have been effective. I also didn't figure
out a way to make iterations fast enough for the tool to be effective,
because I was invoking Postgres in single-user mode. I might pick it
up again in the future, but probably for a more targeted case.

--
Peter Geoghegan