Re: Is tuplesort_heap_siftup() a misnomer?

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is tuplesort_heap_siftup() a misnomer?
Date: 2016-09-08 21:45:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Well, my vote is that it ain't broke and we shouldn't fix it.

To take a step back, what prompted this whole discussion is the patch
that I wrote that shifts down, replacing calls to
tuplesort_heap_siftup() and tuplesort_heap_insert with one new call to
a function I've called tuplesort_heap_root_displace() (today, Claudio
reports that it makes some of his test queries go 25% faster). This
new function shifts down. It's not clear what I'm supposed to say
about that, given the current understanding. So, in a sense, it's
blocking on this.

--
Peter Geoghegan