Re: Last Commitfest patches waiting review

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Brightwell, Adam" <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>, Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, Rukh Meski <rukh(dot)meski(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Last Commitfest patches waiting review
Date: 2014-09-27 23:40:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> Sort support for text with strxfrm() poor man's keys
> ---
>
> Peter: Are you waiting for Robert to review this? Robert, could you review
> the latest patch, please? Peter: Could you try to get rid of the extra
> SortSupport object that Robert didn't like?
> (http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmobDe+YDFnHTS0GWpT54-er8BPT3vx8rPshD+98CTDo25g@mail.gmail.com).
> I think it would speed up the process if you did that, instead of waiting
> for Robert to find the time.

I am not waiting on Robert to spend the time, FWIW. The question that
resolving if we should not have an extra sortsupport object is
blocking on is the need to have a consistent sorttuple.datum1
representation for the benefit of having comparetup_heap() know that
it's either always abbreviated keys or always pointers to text. My
view is that it's not worth going back to fix up datum1 to always be a
pointer to text when we abort abbreviation - I think we should just
forget about datum1 on the rare occasion that happens (due to the
costs involved, as well as the complexity implied).

I think that it will be necessary for me to rigorously prove that
view, as with the "memcmp() == 0" thing. So I'm looking at that.

--
Peter Geoghegan