Re: Tuplesort merge pre-reading

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Tuplesort merge pre-reading
Date: 2016-09-09 16:50:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 4:55 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> wrote:
> I'm happy with the amount of testing I've done now, and the results. Does
> anyone want to throw out any more test cases where there might be a
> regression? If not, let's get these reviewed and committed.

I'll try to look at this properly tomorrow. Currently still working
away at creating a new revision of my sorting patchset. Obviously this
is interesting, but it raises certain questions for the parallel
CREATE INDEX patch in particular that I'd like to get straight, aside
from everything else.

I've been using an AWS d2.4xlarge instance for testing all my recent
sort patches, with 16 vCPUs, 122 GiB RAM, 12 x 2 TB disks. It worked
well to emphasize I/O throughput and parallelism over latency. I'd
like to investigate how this pre-reading stuff does there. I recall
that for one very large case, it took a full minute to do just the
first round of preloading during the leader's final merge (this was
with something like 50GB of maintenance_work_mem). So, it will be
interesting.

BTW, noticed a typo here:

--
Peter Geoghegan