Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-02-28 02:17:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> > It's also make it a lot harder to use in other extensions, something
>> > that's already an issue with hstore.
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> Extensions can't depend on other extensions directly- hence you can't
> write an extension that depends on hstore, which sucks. It'd be
> preferrable to not have that issue w/ json/jsonb/whatever.

I think it depends of what you mean by "depend". The earthdistance
extension "requires" 'cube', for example, "a data type cube for
representing multidimensional cubes". Although I am aware of the
lengths that drivers like psycopg2 go to to support hstore because
it's an extension, which is undesirable.

--
Peter Geoghegan