amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: amcheck (B-Tree integrity checking tool)
Date: 2016-03-01 00:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was assigned an "action point" during the FOSDEM developer meeting:
"Post new version of btree consistency checker patch". I attach a new
WIP version of my consistency checker tool, amcheck. This patch is
proposed for 9.6, as an extension in contrib -- maybe we can still get
it in. This is the first time I've added any version of this to a
commitfest, although I've posted a couple of rough versions of this in
the past couple of years. The attached version has received a major
overhaul, and is primarily aimed at finding corruption in production
systems, although I think it will still have significant value for
debugging too. Maybe it can help with some of the B-Tree patches in
the final commitfest, for example. I also have some hope that it will
become a learning tool for people interested in how B-Tree indexes
work.

To recap, the extension adds some SQL-callable functions that verify
certain invariant conditions hold within some particular B-Tree index.
These are the conditions that index scans rely on always being true.
The tool's scope may eventually cover other AMs, including heapam, but
nbtree seems like the best place to start.

Note that no function currently checks that the index is consistent
with the heap, which would be very useful (that's probably how I'd
eventually target the heapam, actually).

Invariants
========

nbtree invariants that the tool verifies with just an AccessShareLock
on the relation are:

* That all items are in the correct, opclass order on each page.

* That the page "high key", if any, actually bounds the items on the page.

* That the last item on a page is less than or equal to the first item
on the next page (the page to its right). The idea here is that the
key space spans multiple pages, not just one page, so it make sense to
check the last item where we can.

With an ExclusiveLock + ShareLock, some addition invariants are verified:

* That child pages actually have their parent's downlink as a lower bound.

* Sane right links and left links at each level.

Obviously, this tool is all about distrusting the structure of a
B-Tree index. That being the case, it's not always totally clear where
to draw the line. I think I have the balance about right, though.

Interface
=======

There are only 2 SQL callable functions in the extension, which are
very similar:

bt_index_check(index regclass)

bt_index_parent_check(index regclass)

The latter is more thorough than the former -- it performs all checks,
including those checks that I mentioned required an ExclusiveLock. So,
bt_index_check() only requires an AccessShareLock.
bt_index_parent_check() requires an ExclusiveLock on the index
relation, and a ShareLock on its heap relation, almost like REINDEX.
bt_index_parent_check() performs verification that is a superset of
the verification performed by bt_index_check() -- mostly, the extra
verification/work is that it verifies downlinks against child pages.

Both functions raise an error in the event of observing that an
invariant in a B-Tree was violated, such as items being out of order
on a page. I've written extensive documentation, which goes into
practical aspects of using amcheck effectively. It doesn't go into
significant detail about every invariant that is checked, but gives a
good idea of roughly what checks are performed.

I could almost justify only having one function with an argument about
the downlink/child verification, but that would be a significant
footgun given the varying locking requirements that such a function
would have.

Locking
======

We never rely on something like holding on to a buffer pin as an
interlock for correctness (the vacuum interlock thing isn't generally
necessary, because we don't look at the heap at all). We simply pin +
BT_READ lock a buffer, copy it into local memory allocated by
palloc(), and then immediately release the buffer lock and drop the
pin. This is the same in all instances. There is never more than one
buffer lock or pin held at a time.

We do, on the other hand, have a detailed rationale for why it's okay
that we don't have an ExclusiveLock on the index relation for checks
that span the key space of more than one page by following right links
to compare items across sibling pages. This isn't the same thing as
having an explicit interlock like a pin -- our interlock is one
against *recycling* by vacuum, which is based on recentGlobalXmin.
This rationale requires expert review.

Performance
==========

Trying to keep the tool as simple as possible, while still making it
do verification that is as useful as possible was my priority here,
not performance. Still, verification completes fairly quickly.
Certainly, it takes far less time than having to REINDEX the index,
and doesn't need too much memory. I think that in practice most
problems that can be detected by the B-Tree checker functions will be
detected with the lighter variant.

--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-amcheck-extension-to-contrib.patch text/x-patch 52.7 KB