Re: pglogical - logical replication contrib module

From: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pglogical - logical replication contrib module
Date: 2016-03-01 00:19:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

On 03/02/16 03:25, Steve Singer wrote:
> The following review has been posted through the commitfest application:
> make installcheck-world: tested, failed
> Implements feature: tested, failed
> Spec compliant: not tested
> Documentation: tested, failed
>
> Here is some more review
>
> +- `pglogical.replication_set_add_table(set_name name, table_name regclass, synchronize boolean)`
> + Adds a table to replication set.
> +
> + Parameters:
> + - `set_name` - name of the existing replication set
> + - `table_name` - name or OID of the table to be added to the set
> + - `synchronize` - if true, the table data is synchronized on all subscribers
> + which are subscribed to given replication set, default false
> +
>
> The argument to this function is actually named "relation" not "table_name" though we might want to update the function to name the argument table_name.
>
> Also we don't explain what 'synchronize' means I first thought that a value of false would mean that existing data won't be copied but any new changes will be.
> A value of false actually seems to mean that nothing will happen with the table until the synchronize function is manually called. We seem to be using the word 'synchronize' in different sense in different places I find it confusing (ie synchronize_data and syncronize_structure in create_subscription).

False should mean exactly what you thought it would, will have to look
what's the issue there. Obviously UPDATEs or DELETEs won't really do
anything when there are no data but INSERTs should be replicated even
with false.

But I agree we need to define sychronized better, as we discussed we
also want to change status to replicated instead of synchronized. I am
btw thinking that default value for synchronizing schema should be false
in the create_subsription.

> *** a/contrib/pglogical/pglogical_sync.c
> --- b/contrib/pglogical/pglogical_sync.c
> + static void
> + dump_structure(PGLogicalSubscription *sub, const char *snapshot)
> + {
> + char pg_dump[MAXPGPATH];
> + uint32 version;
> + int res;
> + StringInfoData command;
> +
> + if (find_other_exec_version(my_exec_path, PGDUMP_BINARY, &version, pg_dump))
> + elog(ERROR, "pglogical subscriber init failed to find pg_dump relative to binary %s",
> + my_exec_path);
> +
> + if (version / 100 != PG_VERSION_NUM / 100)
> + elog(ERROR, "pglogical subscriber init found pg_dump with wrong major version %d.%d, expected %d.%d",
> + version / 100 / 100, version / 100 % 100,
> + PG_VERSION_NUM / 100 / 100, PG_VERSION_NUM / 100 % 100);
> +
> + initStringInfo(&command);
> + #if PG_VERSION_NUM < 90500
> + appendStringInfo(&command, "%s --snapshot=\"%s\" -s -N %s -N pglogical_origin -F c -f \"/tmp/pglogical-%d.dump\" \"%s\"",
> + #else
> + appendStringInfo(&command, "%s --snapshot=\"%s\" -s -N %s -F c -f \"/tmp/pglogical-%d.dump\" \"%s\"",
>
> 1) I am not sure we can assume/require that the pg_dump binary be in the same location as the postgres binary. I don't know think we've ever required that client binaries (ie psql, pg_dump, pg_restore ...) be in the same directory as postgres. pg_upgrade does require this so maybe this isn't a problem in practice but I thought I'd point it out. Ideally wouldn't need to call an external program to get a schema dump but turning pg_dump into a library is beyond the scope of this patch.

Well for now I don't see that as big issue, especially given that the
pg_dump needs to be same version as the server. We can make it GUC if
needed but that's not something that seems problematic so far. I agree
ideal solution would be to have library but that's something that will
take much longer I am afraid.

> 2) I don't think we can hard-coded /tmp as the directory for the schema dump. I don't think will work on most windows systems and even on a unix system $TMPDIR might be set to something else. Maybe writing this into pgsql_tmp would be a better choice.

Yeah I turned that into GUC.

> Furtherdown in
> pglogical_sync_subscription(PGLogicalSubscription *sub)
> + switch (status)
> + {
> + /* Already synced, nothing to do except cleanup. */
> + case SYNC_STATUS_READY:
> + MemoryContextDelete(myctx);
> + return;
> + /* We can recover from crashes during these. */
> + case SYNC_STATUS_INIT:
> + case SYNC_STATUS_CATCHUP:
> + break;
> + default:
> + elog(ERROR,
> + "subscriber %s initialization failed during nonrecoverable step (%c), please try the setup again",
> + sub->name, status);
> + break;
> + }
>
> I think the default case needs to do something to unregister the background worker. We already discussed trying to get the error message to a user in a better way either way there isn't any sense in this background worker being launched again if the error is nonrecoverable.

Agreed, for this specific case we can actually pretty easily put the
error into some catalog and just disable the subscription.

> +
> + tables = copy_replication_sets_data(sub->origin_if->dsn,
> + sub->target_if->dsn,
> + snapshot,
> + sub->replication_sets);
> +
> + /* Store info about all the synchronized tables. */
> + StartTransactionCommand();
> + foreach (lc, tables)
>
> Shouldn't we be storing the info about the synchronized tables as part of the same transaction that does the sync?

Well that's complicated as we also have post copy stuff to do (creating
indexes and stuff), so far we wan to begin from beginning I think if the
table fails so we consider it unsynced until also post-data part is
done. But I think the initial sync needs a lot of work in general.

> I'll keeping going through the code as I have time. I think it is appropriate to move this to the next CF since the CF is past the end date and the patch has received some review. When you have an updated version of the patch post it, don't wait until March.

Sorry for not being very active in this thread, I really appreciate that
you take time to review this, I was just quite busy last few weeks (and
stolen laptop during business trip didn't help that much either). I
wasn't specifically waiting for March, but I have more WIP things
(privately) on this that I wanted to submit as a whole but not enough
time to get it to -hackers (one of those things is replica trigger
firing that you mentioned upthread). If you are interested I have the
"hackers preparation" branch at
https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/postgres/tree/dev/pglogical , it does not
have WIP stuff, mostly only things I am already happy with and it's what
I use for git format-patch for hackers submission.