Re: BUG #18411: Unable to create database with owner on AWS RDS

From: Myka Dresser <myanodress(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrey Lizenko <lizenko79(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18411: Unable to create database with owner on AWS RDS
Date: 2024-04-17 14:42:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thank you all for your responses, sorry for the delay in replying.

Reading the threads, it appears to me that nobody has tried to reproduce
the issue with the "CREATE DATABASE my_database WITH OWNER=my_user" on an
AWS instance so I am still at a loss as to whether:

- I have hit a bug with the "CREATE DATABASE my_database WITH
OWNER=my_user" command, in which case I am working around it by issuing an
"ALTER DATABASE my_database OWNER TO my_user" command,

or

- I am exploiting a bug in the "ALTER DATABASE my_database OWNER TO
my_user" command in which case I really should look at doing this another
way.

As David J points out, both "CREATE DATABASE my_database WITH
OWNER=my_user" and "ALTER DATABASE my_database OWNER TO my_user" should
fail or both should succeed - I am seeing inconsistent behaviour on AWS
where "CREATE DATABASE" fails whilst "ALTER DATABASE" succeeds.

Myka