Re: Procedural Languages

From: Mike Toews <mwtoews(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Townsend <jtownsend(at)advancedformulas(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Procedural Languages
Date: 2012-05-31 20:13:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1 June 2012 02:36, John Townsend <jtownsend(at)advancedformulas(dot)com> wrote:
> There are least 10 Procedural Languages available for PostGreSQL. The one
> that comes with the installation is PL/pgSQL.

The count looks closer to 18
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL#Procedural_languages
but I doubt some get much use (PL/LOLCODE anyone?).

PL/R opens some good functionality not offered by any other language,
and is particularly useful for statistics, GIS and other science
applications. R itself is often a wrapper to dusty FORTRAN subroutines
published in statistics journals decades ago.

-Mike