Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping

From: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping
Date: 2018-03-12 14:19:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Ashutosh Bapat
>
> GroupPathExtraData now completely absorbs members from and replaces
> OtherUpperPathExtraData. This means that we have to consider a way to
> pass GroupPathExtraData to FDWs through GetForeignUpperPaths(). I
> haven't tried it in this patch.

Initially, I was passing OtherUpperPathExtraData to FDW. But now we need to
pass GroupPathExtraData.

However, since GetForeignUpperPaths() is a generic function for all upper
relations, we might think of renaming this struct to UpperPathExtraData.
Add an UpperRelationKind member to it
Which will be used to distinguish the passed in extra data. But now we only
have extra data for grouping only, I chose not to do that here. But
someone, when needed, may choose this approach.

> With this patch there's a failure in partition_aggregation where the
> patch is creating paths with MergeAppend with GatherMerge underneath.
> I think this is related to the call
> add_paths_to_partial_grouping_rel() when try_parallel_aggregation is
> true. But I didn't investigate it further.

I fixed it. We need to pass is_partial_agg instead of
extra->partial_partitionwise_grouping while calling
add_paths_to_partial_grouping_rel() in case of parallelism.

> With those two things remaining I am posting this patch, so that
> Jeevan Chalke can merge this patch into his patches and also merge
> some of his changes related to mine and Robert's changes. Let me know
> if this refactoring looks good.

Will rebase my changes tomorrow.

--
Jeevan Chalke
Technical Architect, Product Development

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_issues_from_AB_refactoring_changes.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB