Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping

From: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping
Date: 2018-02-14 15:05:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Jeevan Chalke <
> jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> I see that partition-wise aggregate plan too uses parallel index, am I
>> missing something?
>>

> You're right, I missed that, oops.
>

>>> Q18 takes some 390 secs with patch and some 147 secs without it.
>>>

>> This looks strange. This patch set does not touch parallel or seq scan as
>> such. I am not sure why this is happening. All these three queries explain
>> plan shows much higher execution time for parallel/seq scan.
>>
>> Yeah strange it is.

Off-list I have asked Rafia to provide me the perf machine access where she
is doing this bench-marking to see what's going wrong.
Thanks Rafia for the details.

What I have observed that, there are two sources, one with HEAD and other
with HEAD+PWA. However the configuration switches were different. Sources
with HEAD+PWA has CFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O0" CXXFLAGS="-ggdb3 -O0" flags in
addition with other sources. i.e. HEAD+PWA is configured with
debugging/optimization enabled which account for the slowness.

I have run EXPLAIN for these three queries on both the sources having
exactly same configuration switches and I don't find any slowness with PWA
patch-set.

Thus, it will be good if you re-run the benchmark by keeping configuration
switches same on both the sources and share the results.

Thanks

--
Jeevan Chalke
Technical Architect, Product Development