Re: Re: proposal: ignore null fields in not relation type composite type based constructors

From: Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Re: proposal: ignore null fields in not relation type composite type based constructors
Date: 2014-09-02 11:54:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel,

it needs a redesign of original implementation, we should to change API to
> use default values with named parameters
>
> but it doesn't help too much (although it can be readable little bit more)
>
> instead row_to_json(x, false, true)
>
> be
>
> row_ro_json(x, ignore_null := true)
>
> it is not too much work, but I need a names for parameters

I have tried adding dummy names (a, b, c) in pg_proc entry you have added.
But that is not sufficient. We need to have default values provided to these
arguments to work row_ro_json(x, ignore_null := true) call.
It was not trivial. So I have not put much thought on that.

For name, I choose (row, pretty, ignore_nulls) or similar.

However it was my thought.
If it is too complex of not so useful then we can ignore it.

Thanks
--
Jeevan B Chalke
Principal Software Engineer, Product Development