Re: Failing start-up archive recovery at Standby mode in PG9.2.4

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <kyota(dot)horiguchi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failing start-up archive recovery at Standby mode in PG9.2.4
Date: 2013-04-25 14:55:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hmm. I think that I caught the tail of the problem..

Script with small change reproduced the situation for me.

The latest standby uses 3 as its TLI after the history file
0..3.history which could get from the archive. So the WAL files
recycled on this standby will have the TLI=3.
Nevertheless the LSN of the segment recycled on standby is on the
TLI=2 in the master, the standby makes the first request for each
segment with that LSN but TLI = 3 to the master because the standby
runs on recoveryTargetTLI=3. The master reasonably doesn't have it and
finally the standby finds that wrong WAL file in its pg_xlog directory
before the second request with TLI=2 would be made.

In conclusion, the standby should name the recycled WAL segment using
the same TLI for the LSN on the master. Or should never recycle WAL
files..

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi