Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how to fix it

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad order of Postgres links in Google search results and how to fix it
Date: 2018-10-21 09:06:38
Lists: pgsql-www

Fwiw I used to work at Google and raised this internally. It is definitely
something the search quality team was aware of and it affects other
projects as well. Try searching for docs on Java APIs for example.

They seemed really interested in improving it and there have been some
improvements but it's obviously still not there. It's a harder problem than
you might expect because there are lots of links to old versions and they
have lots of data that users are happy with the results from 9.6 or 10 (and
indeed even after 11 is released most users are probably still looking for
9.6 or 10 docs...)

A few things we could do is add a prominent coloured banner across the top
of every page saying "you're looking at docs for an old version, click here
for the docs for the current version".

We could actually make the current version "canonical" but then it would be
actually awkward if anyone wanted to search for older docs. And it's not
true in general that every page is present in every version. We sometimes
add or remove pages from the docs... That still might be the only really
useful option today.