Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Prabakaran, Vaishnavi" <vaishnavip(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Providing catalog view to pg_hba.conf file - Patch submission
Date: 2015-03-04 01:07:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> I can make these changes if you want.

Personally I'm just not convinced this is worth it. It makes the
catalogs harder for people to read and use and only benefits people
who have users named "all" or databases named "all", "sameuser", or
"samerole" which I can't really imagine would be anyone.

If this were going to be the infrastructure on which lots of tools
rested rather than just a read-only view that was mostly going to be
read by humans that might be different. Are you envisioning a tool
that would look at this view, offer a gui for users to make changes
based on that information, and build a new pg_hba.conf to replace it?

--
greg