Re: Memory usage during sorting

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory usage during sorting
Date: 2012-04-14 12:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Well, timsort is specifically designed to take advantage of pre-sorted
> data. It does appear to have a lot of traction, as wikipedia points
> out:

I hadn't heard of it. But reading up on it it does seem like a good
fit for us. It trades some additional storage -- an array of pointers
into the sort array where in our case the pointers would be much
smaller than a whole SortTuple -- for fewer comparisons -- which in
our case are often much slower than a simple integer comparison.

--
greg