Re: Current int & float overflow checking is slow.

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Current int & float overflow checking is slow.
Date: 2017-10-24 12:26:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We already know this integer overflow checking is non-standard and
compilers keep trying to optimize them out. Our only strategy to
defeat that depends on compiler flags like -fwrapv that vary by
compiler and may or may not be working on less well tested compiler.

So if there's a nice readable and convenient way to portably use cpu
flags That would be brilliant. And I'm not too concerned if it doesn't
run on VAX.