Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1a.i

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1a.i
Date: 2022-03-01 16:16:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Last November Daniel Gustafsson did a patch triage. It took him three
emails to get through the patches in the commitfest back then. Since
then we've had the November and the January commitfests so I was
interested to see how many of these patches had advanced....

I'm only part way through the first email but so far only two patches
have changed status -- and both to "Returned with feedback" :(

So I'm going to post updates but I'm going to break it up into smaller
batches because otherwise it'll take me a month before I post
anything.

> 1608: schema variables, LET command
> ===================================
> After 18 CF's and two very long threads it seems to be nearing completion
> judging by Tomas' review. There is an ask in that review for a second pass
> over the docs by a native speaker, any takers?

Patch has a new name, "session variables, LET command"

There's been a *lot* of work on this patch so I'm loath to bump it.
The last review was from Julien Rouhaud which had mostly code style
comments but it had one particular concern about using xact callback
in core and about EOX cleanup.

Pavel, do you have a plan to improve this or are you looking for
suggestions from someone about how you should solve this problem?

> 1741: Index Skip Scan
> =====================
> An often requested feature which has proven hard to reach consensus on an
> implementation for. The thread(s) have stalled since May, is there any hope of
> taking this further? Where do we go from here with this patch?

"Often requested indeed! I would love to be able to stop explaining to
people that Postgres can't handle this case well.

It seems there are multiple patch variants around and suggestions from
Heikki and Peter G about fundamental interface choices. It would be
nice to have a good summary from someone who is involved about what's
actually left unresolved.

> 1712: Remove self join on a unique column
> This has moved from "don't write bad queries" to "maybe we should do something
> about this". It seems like there is concensus that it can be worth paying the
> added planner cost for this, especially if gated by a GUC to keep it out of
> installations where it doesn't apply. The regression on large join queries
> hasn't been benchmarked it seems (or I missed it), but the patch seems to have
> matured and be quite ready. Any takers on getting it across the finish line?

There hasn't been any review since the v29 patch was posted in July.
That said, to my eye it seemed like pretty basic functionality errors
were being corrected quite late. All the bugs got patch updates
quickly but does this have enough tests to be sure it's working right?

The only real objection was about whether the planning time justified
the gains since the gains are small. But I think they were resolved by
making the optimization optional. Do we have consensus that that
resolved the issue or do we still need benchmarks showing the planning
time hit is reasonable?

> 2161: standby recovery fails when re-replaying due to missing directory which
> was removed in previous replay.
> Tom and Robert seem to be in agreement that parts of this patchset are good,
> and that some parts are not. The thread has stalled and the patch no longer
> apply, so unless someone feels like picking up the good pieces this seems like
> a contender to close for now.

Tom's feedback seems to have been acted on last November. And the last
update in January was that it was passing CI now. Is this ready to
commit now?

> 2138: Incremental Materialized View Maintenance
> The size of the
> patchset and the length of the thread make it hard to gauge just far away it
> is, maybe the author or a reviewer can summarize the current state and outline
> what is left for it to be committable.

There is an updated patch set as of February but I have the same
difficulty wrapping my head around the amount of info here.

Is this one really likely to be commitable in 15? If not I think we
should move this to 16 now and concentrate on patches that will be
commitable in this release.

> 2218: Implement INSERT SET syntax
> =================================
> The author has kept this patch updated, and has seemingly updated according to
> the review comments. Tom: do you have any opinions on whether the updated
> version addresses your concerns wrt the SELECT rewrite?

I don't see any discussion implying that Tom's concerns were met. I'm
not exactly clear why Tom's concerns are real problems though --
wouldn't it be a *good* thing if we have a more expressive syntax? But
that's definitely what needs to be resolved before it can move ahead.

So unless there's objections I'm going to update this to "waiting on author".

--
greg