Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1b

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andy Fan <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, wenjing(dot)zwj(at)alibaba-inc(dot)com, Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Commitfest 2022-03 Patch Triage Part 1b
Date: 2022-03-01 21:12:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 2096: psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option
> Peter posted an updated version of Fabiens patch about a month ago (which at
> this point no longer applies) fixing a few issues, but also point at old review
> comments still unaddressed. Since this was pushed, but had to be reverted, I
> assume there is a desire for the feature but it seems to need more work still.

It looks like Peter and Fabien were debating the merits of a libpq
change and probably that won't happen this release cycle. Is there a
kernel of psql functionality that can be extracted from this without
the libpq change in this release cycle or should it wait until we add
the functionality to libpq?

If it's the latter then perhaps we should move this to 16?

> 1651: GROUP BY optimization
> ===========================
> This is IMO a desired optimization, and after all the heavy lifting by Tomas
> the patch seems to be in pretty good shape.

This is two patches and it sounds like the first one is ready for
committer whereas the second one is less clear. Or is the second one
meant to be an alternative for the first one?

> 2377: pg_ls_* functions for showing metadata and recurse (pg_ls_tmpdir to show
> shared filesets)
> The question of what to do with lstat() on Windows is still left unanswered,
> but the patchset has been split to up to be able to avoid it. Stephen and Tom,
> having done prior reviews do you have any thoughts on this?

Is this still blocked on lstat for windows? I couldn't tell, is there
consensus on a behaviour for windows even if that just means failing
or returning partial results on windows?

Other than that it seems like there's a lot of this patch that has
positive reviews and is ready for committing.

> 2349: global temporary table
> ============================
> GTT has been up for discussion numerous times in tbe past, and I can't judge
> whether this proposal has a better chance than previous ones. I do note the
> patch has a number of crashes reported lately, and no reviews from senior
> contributors in a while, making it seem unlikely to be committed in this CF.
> Since the patch is very big, can it be teased apart and committed separately
> for easier review?

I think Andres's review decisively makes it clear this in an
uncommittable state.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220225074500.sfizxbmlrj2s6hp5%40alap3.anarazel.de
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220227041304.mnimeqkhwktrjyht%40alap3.anarazel.de

It's definitely not going to make it this release and will probably
need a significant amount of time next release cycle. IMHO dividing it
up into smaller features does seem like it would be more effective at
getting things committed.

Should we mark this returned with feedback or just move it to the next
commitfest as waiting on author?

> 2433: Erase the distinctClause if the result is unique by definition
> (parts of) The approach taken in this patch has been objected against in favor
> of work that Tom has proposed. Until that work materialize this patch is
> blocked, and thus I think we are better of closing it and re-opening it when it
> gets unstuck. Unless Tom has plans to hack on this shortly?

Ugh. This is a problematic dynamic. Tom has a different idea of what
direction to take this but hasn't had a chance to work on it. So
what's Andy Fan supposed to do here? He can't read Tom's mind and
nobody else can really help him. Ultimately we all have limited time
so this is a thing that will happen but is there anything we can do to
resolve it in this case?

We definitely shouldn't spend lots of time on this patch unless we're
going to be ok going ahead without Tom's version of it. Is this
something we can do using the Andy's data structure for now and change
in the future?

It looks like the Skip Scan patch was related to this work in some
way? Is it blocked on it?

--
greg