Re: WIP Patch for GROUPING SETS phase 1

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Atri Sharma <atri(dot)jiit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP Patch for GROUPING SETS phase 1
Date: 2014-08-22 18:42:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> So the proposal you are pushing is going
> to result in seriously teeing off some fraction of our userbase;
> and the argument why that would be acceptable seems to boil down to
> "I think there are few enough of them that we don't have to care"
> (an opinion based on little evidence IMO

FWIW here's some evidence... Craig Kersteins did a talk on the
statistics across the Heroku fleet: Here are the slides from 2013
though I think there's an updated slide deck with more recent numbers
out there:
https://speakerdeck.com/craigkerstiens/postgres-what-they-really-use

Cube shows up as the number 9 most popular extension with about 1% of
databases having it installed (tied with pg_crypto and earthdistance).
That's a lot more than I would have expected actually.

Personally I would love to change the name because I always found the
name the most confusing thing about it. It took me forever to figure
out what on earth a "cube" was. It's actually a vector data type which
is actually a pretty useful idea.

--
greg