Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f

From: "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f
Date: 2023-03-20 14:56:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 10:05, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks, I have modified everything as suggested, except one point
>
> > Don't use variable format strings. They're hard to read and they
> > probably defeat compile-time checks that the arguments match the
> > format string. You could use a "*" field width instead, ie
> > * Another thought is that the non-text formats tend to prize output
> > consistency over readability, so maybe we should just always use 2
> > fractional digits there, rather than trying to minimize visible changes.
>
> In that, we need to adjust a lot of test case outputs.

> > * We need some doc adjustments, surely, to explain what the heck this
> > means.

That sounds like three points :) But they seem like pretty good
arguments to me and straightforward if a little tedious to adjust.

This patch was marked Returned with Feedback and then later Waiting on
Author. And it hasn't had any updates since January. What is the state
on this feedback? If it's already done we can set the patch to Ready
for Commit and if not do you disagree with the proposed changes?

It's actually the kind of code cleanup changes I'm reluctant to bump a
patch for. It's not like a committer can't make these kinds of changes
when committing. But there are so many patches they're likely to just
focus on a different patch when there are adjustments like this
pending.

--
Gregory Stark
As Commitfest Manager