Re: jsonb problematic operators

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Geoff Winkless <gwinkless(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb problematic operators
Date: 2016-12-12 13:22:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12 December 2016 at 04:59, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I didn't realise Pg's use of ? was that old, so thanks. That makes
> offering alternatives much less appealing.

One option might be for Postgres to define duplicate operator names
using ¿ or something else. I think ¿ is a good choice because it's a
common punctuation mark in spanish so it's probably not hard to find
on a lot of keyboards or hard to find instructions on how to type one.

There is always a risk in allowing redundant syntaxes though. For
example people running grep to find all uses of an operator will miss
the alternate spelling. There may even be security implications for
that though to be honest that seems unlikely in this case.

--
greg