Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date: 2012-11-02 15:34:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> The idea at the time was to use the include *directory* functionality,
>> for say a "config.d" directory in pgdata. The builtin one would then
>> use a predictable filename in this directory, so that the DBA who
>> prefers it can drop files both before and after that file into the
>> directory.
>

> That's how I remember things as well.

This sounds similar but a bit different from the solution I advocated
for and thought there was widespread support for.

If we changed the default postgresql.conf to be empty except for an
"include postgresql.conf.auto" and had tools to write out
postgresql.conf.auto then things would basically just work.

The main gotcha would have been if people *do* put any settings in
postgresql.conf manually then they would override any auto settings
(if they came after the include) or be overridden by them (if they
come before the include). This might be a bit confusing but I think it
would be fine -- the tools might want to display a warning if the
current source is from a setting in a different file.

--
greg