Re: Combining hash values

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Combining hash values
Date: 2016-08-01 07:19:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Surely combining multiple hashes is the same problem as hashing a block of
memory? Shouldn't we just use the same algorithm as hash_any()?

I was originally going to suggest using a crc to combine but iirc we
changed hash_any() a while back and decided against using crc. I don't know
if that was wise but wouldn't want to suggest relitigating that.