Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [v9.2] make_greater_string() does not return a string in some cases
Date: 2011-09-22 12:59:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> My thought was that it would avoid the need to do any character
> incrementing at all.  You could just start scanning forward as if the
> operator were >= and then stop when you hit the first string that
> doesn't have the same initial substring.

But the whole problem is that not all the strings with the initial
substring are in a contiguous block. The best we can hope for is that
they're fairly dense within a block without too many non-matching
strings. The example with / shows how that can happen.

If you're looking for foo/% and you start with foo/ you'll find:

foo/
foo0
foo/0
foo1
foo/1

Even just case-insensitive collations don't put all the strings with a
common prefix in a contiguous block. If you're searching for foo%
you'll find:

foo
Foobar
foobar