Re: Why data of timestamptz does not store value of timezone passed to it?

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why data of timestamptz does not store value of timezone passed to it?
Date: 2014-08-29 15:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:19 PM, David G Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> And forcing people to change their data types to migrate to PostgreSQL is
> undesirable IF our type is usefully equivalent to others in the majority of
> situations - though I don't know if that is actually the case.

You know... I wonder if we have enough leverage in the standards
committee these days that we could usefully push that direction
instead of being pushed around. The standard timestamp with time zone
is not very useful and I'm sure the standards committee wouldn't mind
having a useful point-in-time data type.

--
greg