Re: Dump pageinspect to 1.2: page_header with pg_lsn datatype

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Dump pageinspect to 1.2: page_header with pg_lsn datatype
Date: 2014-02-25 09:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 25 Feb 2014 08:54, "Heikki Linnakangas" <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:

> I hope there are no applications relying on pageinspect. It's a very
low-level tool. Or if someone has written a nice GUI around it, I'd like to
hear about it so that I can start using it :-).

>> I see more flexibility to keep them as they are now, as integers,
>> users can always tune their queries to do this post-processing with
>> to_hex for them as they've (always?) been doing.
>

> Agreed. With an int4, you can more easily check for a particular bit etc.

What about making it a bit() column?

What I would love to see is a function added to page inspect that takes
these two fields and returns a list of symbolic names or perhaps a tuple of
booleans.