Re: A bug with the TimeStampTZ data type and the 'AT TIME ZONE' clause

From: Troy Frericks <troy(dot)frericks(at)iseatz(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A bug with the TimeStampTZ data type and the 'AT TIME ZONE' clause
Date: 2022-02-15 14:33:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thank you!

First, I specified EST & CST which assumed Standard time vs Daylight Saving
time. My bad.

As pointed out in the thread, I needed to change to "American/Chicago" &
"American/New_York".

And a note... When in one timezone, specifying a future point in time in
another timezone, and storing that value in UTC is even more complicated
than first thought. That is, the rules that dictate time zones and that
dictate daylight saving time may change between now and that future point
in time thereby affecting any UTC conversion to a specified time zone. :_(

Following the suggestions in this thread. Here is a working recap...

*DROP* *TABLE* ts;

*CREATE* *TABLE* ts (ts *timestamptz*);

-- 10:00 AM CST is the same moment as 11:00 AM EST -- google: what is
10:00 AM CST in EST

*INSERT* *INTO* ts *VALUES* (('2022-02-07 10:00:00'::*timestamp* *AT* *TIME*
*ZONE* 'America/Chicago')::*timestamptz*); -- 10:00 AM CT

*INSERT* *INTO* ts *VALUES* (('2022-02-07 11:00:00'::*timestamp* *AT* *TIME*
*ZONE* 'America/New_York')::*timestamptz*); -- 11:00 AM ET

*SELECT*

ts *AT* *time* *ZONE* 'America/Chicago' *AS* "CT"

*FROM* ts;

Returns...
|CT |
|-----------------------|
|2022-02-07 10:00:00.000|
|2022-02-07 10:00:00.000|

Troy.
#

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message and any attached files from iSeatz,
Inc. contain information that is confidential and proprietary under
applicable agreements and/or law. The recipient of this message is hereby
placed on notice that the information and materials transmitted herein by
iSeatz, Inc. are deemed to be the confidential information of iSeatz, Inc.
for all purposes. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
receive for the recipient), you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution, disclosure, or copying of this communication
or any information contained in the attachments hereto is strictly
prohibited. If you received this email by accident, please notify the
sender immediately and destroy this email and all copies of it. We may scan
and or monitor emails sent to and from our servers to ensure compliance to
protect our clients and business.